Monday, July 07, 2008

A rather full 4th of July weekend.

No need to overstate that this past weekend was fun on many levels. As I get older it seems that I am more content with the simple pleasures that result from being with friends and enjoying traditional activities. That said, my ears are still ringing but I have recovered nicely from the weekend's festivities.

There is nothing quite like good food, good times and good people to make a holiday like America's Birthday so much fun. As a nation we have, indeed, veered from the path I think we should be on. But at the same time I would be an utter fool to not still support my country and more so the fellow citizens who share my space. After all, people still make up much of what I cherish in this world, so I celebrate them in all their glory. America, fuck yeah!

Besides BBQ, beer and blowing shit up, lot's of other things happened over the weekend in the world as we were partying!

Another southern bigot bit the dust. Another hundred thousand or so and we should be in good shape!

Some truly unique tinkerers have built some freakish looking bikes!

A hundred or so new words have been added to the latest addition of Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary including my personal faves:

–Air quotes (1989): gesture made by raising and flexing the index and middle fingers of both hands, used to call attention to a spoken word or expression.

–Mental health day (1971): day that an employee takes off from work to relieve stress or renew vitality.

–Mondegreen (1954): word or phrase that results from a mishearing of something said or sung. From the mishearing in a Scottish ballad of „laid him on the green“ as „Lady Mondegreen.“

–Wing nut (circa 1900): Slang: one who advocates extreme measures or changes; radical.

So remember kids, when you are partying hard someone else is hard at work or heading for the dirt nap!

SYS

0 talkin' trash: