Tuesday, December 11, 2007

“If you intellectualize about wine instead of drink it, you will never understand the experience of being drunk.”

Now that wasn't me. That was a really wise man named Rajneesh Chandra Mohan Jain. I mean the dude was a convicted felon but otherwise a very wise man. The statement is quite true and ties into an article I read asking someone to define themselves with just one word. Just one.

A dude who dugg the story (who also happens to be related to the author of the article) thought this was a maddening proposition, but I simply think it is dumb. I wouldn't waste my time trying to define myself in one word because it simply doesn't make sense. We are dynamic people. We are ever changing in that as we grow old we are always performing audits on ourselves. At least those who are able to self-critique do. Perhaps some just don't think about it so profoundly.

A few diggers offered up some ideas of how they would define themselves in one single word.

Geek came up. As in, I am Geek. Does this make sense? To answer the question with the word "geek?" I have a feeling this person carries the label of geek as an important statement of him or herself (especially if they are involved in a tech field) but it's nothing more than a label.

According to Dictionary.com Geek gets the following treatments.

As a noun, a geek (slang) is: 1. a peculiar or otherwise dislikeable person, esp. one who is perceived to be overly intellectual.
2. a computer expert or enthusiast (a term of pride as self-reference, but often considered offensive when used by outsiders.)
3. a carnival performer who performs sensationally morbid or disgusting acts, as biting off the head of a live chicken.

As an adjective, a geek is often combined with other descriptors such as lab geek or computer geek.

So I'm no closer to accepting a submission like "geek." True, there are other things I could be concentrating on but sometimes when the hour is late and you find yourself breaking away from the numbing trance that television puts you in, the brain works in mysterious ways.

Indeed.

SYS

0 talkin' trash: